Saturday, June 9, 2012

"Spaghetti" and Meatballs

Could it be?! Has she really risen from the dead?! That's right, I'm back people! After a 2-3 month hiatus, I am here again to grace you with my Paleo posts! My sister found this recipe here: http://hip2save.com/2012/02/09/spaghetti-and-meatballs-paleo-style-yum/

Now...I know that there has already been a meatball post on our blog but I realize that some people may prefer their baby cows alive and well. Therefore, I bring you a less depressing meatball recipe!

Along with the baby-less meatballs, I found yet another pasta substitute in the form of zucchini! These zucchini "noodles" have a little more substance than spaghetti squash and do not have much taste.

Well here we go!

Ingredients:

2 pounds ground turkey (I used half turkey half pork. It was GOOD.)
1/3 cup almond flour
2 eggs
3 cloves of minced garlic
A handful of fresh chopped basil (or about 1 1/2 teaspoons dried basil)
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon pepper
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon red pepper flakes (for an added kick!)
1 jar of Paleo-friendly tomato sauce
4 zucchinis (roughly, depending on size)

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350. Just throw all of the meatball ingredients in a bowl and mix with your hands until everything is incorporated. Form into balls and place the meatballs on a baking sheet with parchment paper (if you have it). This will help make for easy clean up when the fat cooks off while baking. Put pan in 350 degree oven for about 25 minutes.


(We didn't use parchment paper and it was a bad idea. Use it.)

While the meatballs are baking, heat up some Paleo-friendly tomato based sauce on the stove. I have been able to find multiple kinds in the grocery store.

As the sauce simmers, either thinly slice 4 zucchinis with a nice or use a mandolin with a special blade to create long noodle-like pieces of zucchini. Place in a bowl in the microwave and microwave until they are the desired consistency. It took me about 2 ½ minutes.

(For the life of me I can't seem to rotate this picture...but you get the idea.)

When the meatballs, the spaghetti sauce, and the zucchini “noodles” are all warm, put them on a plate and enjoy!


It’s actually a much simpler recipe than you would expect, especially with special mandolin blades. I don’t have the patience to cut the “noodles” by hand.

Well...I’m back! And I hope after this post there will be a few more happy ALIVE baby cows in the world. You can enjoy your meal in peace!

Becca

No comments:

Post a Comment