Thursday, January 3, 2013

Scotch Eggs



Yup, I’ve never heard of Scotch eggs until this past summer, while visiting Charlotte, NC.  I guess I live my life, like an ostrich, with my head in the sand. Think of Scotch eggs as a hard-boiled egg wrapped in meaty goodness.  Traditionally, Scotch eggs are made with ground pork.  I made these puppies with ground beef.  Though, I was half tempted to make them with ground bison.  I wonder what they would taste like if I wrapped each Scotch egg with BACON?

These puppies have some mass to them.  After consuming one Scotch egg, you will feel like there is a 20-pound wall ball sitting in your stomach!  They are filling.

Scotch eggs are super easy to make.  The most difficult step is peeling the hard-boiled eggs….seriously! 

This recipe was taken from www.theclothesmakethegirl.com

Ingredients:
8 hard-boiled eggs
2 pounds of ground beef
2 teaspoons of salt (next time I would half the amount)
1 teaspoon of fresh pepper, cracked
1 teaspoon of dried tarragon
½ teaspoon of nutmeg
pinch of cinnamon
pinch of cloves
¼ cup of fresh parsley, finely chopped
2 cloves of garlic, minced

Directions
Preheat oven to 375 degrees and start boiling eggs.  While eggs are boiling, in a large mixing bowl thoroughly mix (with your hands) ground beef, salt, pepper, tarragon, nutmeg, cinnamon, cloves, parsley and garlic.

Next, divide beef mixture into 8 equal servings.  Roll each piece into a ball and flatten with the palm of your hand.  Wrap meat around hard-boiled egg, until evenly covered.  You may have to work your meat.......to cover your egg.  Once covered, place uncooked Scotch egg on a cookie sheet.

Bake for about 25 minutes. Then, increase oven temperature to 400 degrees and bake for an additional 5-10 minutes. The meat should be golden brown.

Flowers

No comments:

Post a Comment