Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Beef Stewed over Cauliflower

Growing up, there were things that were never missing from the fridge: Beans, Rice, Tortillas, Tomatoes, and Onions.  Being Paleo isn't easy when you're brown that's for sure but in honor of my mother I altered one of her recipes and it came out pretty darn good.  This took me forever because of my lack of planning but if you have a crockpot...I highly recommend you use it or you might be up on the computer at midnight like me.
What you need (I'm a single gal so if need be you should double the amounts for your fam)
1.5 lbs of lean beef for stews
3 roma tomatoes
1/4 of an onion
4 dried california chiles (I find these at my local Latino market)
4 garlic cloves
1 head of cauliflower
2 tsp of garlic powder

Boil the tomatoes, onions, california chiles and 2 garlic cloves in water.  The tomatoes and onion should be extremely soft to the point of falling apart.  Then put it all in a blender to liquefy.
If you're using a crockpot; simply add water until meat is covered and the tomatoe mixture to the crockpot (add the other two garlic cloves if you love garlic).  When you come home the meat should be extremely tender.  ~If you're not using a crockpot it takes about 1.5 hours of boiling on high for the meat to become tender in the water, only then do you add the tomatoe mixture.
At this point chop the cauliflower into pieces and throw it in the food processor to get that grainy or gritty texture.  Sautee the cauliflower in olive oil until brown.  Serve the beef and a good amount of the juice over the cauliflower and there you have it.  For added pleasure sprinkle a little bit of chopped onion and some lime juice then serve.
~Liz





No comments:

Post a Comment