Sunday, March 25, 2012

Tasty Bison Stuffed Bell Peppers


If you have never had bison before and were curious about using bison as a part of your Paleo diet, this would be the perfect recipe for you to try!  Incase you didn’t know, Bison (Buffalo) is high in protein (84% protein and 16% fat) and is one of the better meats to consume.  FYI, Bison is sustainable too.  I found this recipe in “The Paleo Diet Cookbook,” by Dr. Loren Cordain.  However, as usual, I modified the recipe to my liking. 

I chose this recipe because: 1) Prep time is minimal, 2) its easy to make, 3) makes a perfect all-in-one meal for lunch (I only have 30 minuet lunch break) and 4) this recipe makes about 4 stuffed bell peppers, which I can have through out the week for lunch. 

I case you are counting your calories, each stuffed bell pepper is approximately 249 calories (5 g of carbs (2 of which are sugar), 14 g of fat and a whopping 24 g of protein).  As you can see this is a low glycemic index meal.  Yay, no diabetes for me.

If you are going to have this tasty treat for dinner, try it with a kale salad or even sautéed spinach and kale.

Ingredients:
4 bell peppers (make sure all bell peppers are about the same size and can stand upright.  Use red, yellow and/or orange bell peppers for fun and presentation)
1 tablespoon of olive oil
1 pound of ground bison
1 egg
3 scallions, finely chopped
1 clove of garlic (normally I would add more garlic but I want to taste the bison. Thus I limited the garlic usage)
2 slices of chopped, crispy uncured bacon (Did I mention that I love everything bacon?)
Thyme, finely chopped, to taste
Cayenne pepper, to taste


Don’t be bound by these ingredients.  Be creative, use other veggies, like mushrooms, shredded carrot, or, for an added kick, jalapeño. 

Building your bell pepper monstrosity:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Chop off the tops of the bell peppers and remove all seeds.  Rub the outer surface of each bell pepper with olive oil and place in a baking dish.

Next, combine bison and egg in a medium sized bowl and mix together with your hands (time to have some fun).  Add, scallions, garlic, crispy bacon, thyme and cayenne pepper.  Again, mix with your hands.

Lastly, stuff each bell pepper with an equal volume of bison mixture.  Stand bell peppers upright on baking dish (I used a cookie sheet) and cover lightly with foil.   Bake for approximately 1 hour, remove and cool. 

Happy Eating, 
Flowers

1 comment:

  1. Found this recipe by googling around on stuffed bell peppers with bison... gonna try it now, thanks!

    ReplyDelete