Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Paleo Brownies...Dessert has arrived!



Yeah, no joke….Paleo brownies! I first encountered the brownies sitting on a conference table at work.  I assumed they were regular sugar-laden brownies.  Then a co-worker, who made the brownies, informed me the brownies were Paleo!!!  I was offered a brownie, which was an offer I could not refuse.  I know what you are thinking….are they really that good?  Hell to the yes!  In fact, within seconds of eating the soft and chewy morsel, I did the happy dance.  I was in brownie heaven.   These particular brownies are not as sweet as your from-the-box brownie, which is fine in my book.  In fact, these brownies are bitter-sweet, moist and chewy. 

I did a web search for Paleo brownies and, as you would guess, there are tons of Paleo brownie recipes in cyberspace.  Some Paleo brownie recipes are date-based, some are almond-based, and yet others are fig-based.  This particular recipe is walnut-based.  In comparison to some of the recipes out there, this recipe is fairly simple to follow and has a minimal number of ingredients with maximum return in flavor. 

In case you are counting calories, each brownie is approximately 168 calories (26 g of carbs (21 g of which are sugar), 8 grams of fat and 3 grams of proteins).  I don’t recommend eating the whole batch of brownies in one sitting.  As with anything in life, moderation is key.

This particular recipe came from www.crossfitelpaso.com but I took liberties and modified the recipe to my liking. 

Ingredients
16 ounces of walnut butter (throw walnuts in a food processor until buttered)
1 egg
1 cup of light agave nectar
1 tablespoon of vanilla extract (pure)
0.5 cup of cocoa
0.5 teaspoon of sea salt (I used a fine grain sea salt)
1 teaspoon of baking soda
3 slices of crispy bacon (chopped into bits)

What to do
Mix together walnut butter, vanilla extract, egg and agave nectar in a large bowl.  Once completely mixed, add in cocoa, sea salt and baking soda.  Mix until the batter is smooth.  You may need to make sure all lumps of cocoa are mixed in completely.  Lastly, fold in bacon. 

Instead of pouring into a greased baking pan, I spooned the batter into cupcake tins, which yielded about 12 cupcakes.  Bake at 325 degrees for 30 min.  

Happy Eating, 
Flowers

No comments:

Post a Comment