Monday, January 14, 2013

Shepherd's pie

Potato... We don't miss you! Even with my A-type personality and committed (ok obsessive) Crossfit ways... I get a hankering for white starchy comfort food. But!!!!!... With the life saving invention of cauliflower mash we can still enjoy some shepherds pie and stay paleo. The best part about this recipe is that it can be easily zoned, just add cauliflower or take away some meat.
What you will need:
1egg
1 onion finely chopped
A couple carrots (chopped)
2 handfuls of chopped mushrooms
2-4 chopped garlic cloves (I go with 4)
Dry rosemary, thyme paprika and salt
1 lb of ground meat... Your choice but I recommend bison or lamb
1 chopped and cored cauliflower head
1cup of chicken stock (I made my own from my roommate's chicken soup)

Preheat oven to 400
Boil cauliflower until ridiculously soft... I mean close to falling apart soft. Strain and get rid of excess water. Mash and whisk while adding 1/4 cup chicken stock and the egg. Should be the consistency of mashed potatoes. Add 1/2 tsp of rosemary and thyme... Salt to taste.
Sauté onions, carrots, mushrooms and garlic until its soft and filled the kitchen with awesome aromas. Season meat in a bowl with 1/2 tsp of rosemary, thyme a generous amount of paprika and about 1/2 tbs of salt or to your taste. Add the meat mixture to the sautéed onion mix. Add 3/4 of the chicken stock. Cook thoroughly.
Place the meat evenly in an 8 by 8 inch baking dish, leaving out too much liquid from the pan, and smash to the bottom. Add cauliflower to the top spreading it out evenly as well. Bake for 10min and broil for another 10... Should become golden on the sides... I leave it in a bit longer for that effect. Let cool and serve.








No comments:

Post a Comment