Wednesday, January 16, 2013

The most amazing chicken....EVER!




After my success with the Dry Rub Ribs, I wanted another effortless Paleo crockpot recipe.  I wanted maximum flavor with minimum effort.  Yes, I am lazy.....well, except with my Crossfit workouts.  

I rarely ever cook chicken simply because I think, for the most part, chicken is boring.  I mean, how many chicken breasts have you eaten thus far during this Paleo Challenge?  Answer: Too many. 

I set my crockpot up this morning (4am) before heading out of the house.  Please don’t ask why I am routinely up at 4am in the morning.  Yes, I am insane.  At the end of the day, when I returned home, the whole kitchen was drenched in the aroma of chicken-y goodness.  My mouth was watering.  Like the ribs, the chicken fell off the bone and the veggies along with the chicken made its own juices.  I am half tempted to eat the whole chicken tonight. 

This recipe can feed a small contingent of Crossfitters who show up to CFA’s Sunday WOD.  What is in this amazing recipe?  Answer: Chicken (duh), vegetables, herbs and spices.  That is it!   Since this recipe involves a fair amount of chopping, I suggest using a mandolin.  The mandolin will cut your work in half.  

FYI: This recipe is a bit spicy.  You may want to tone down the proportions. 

This recipe came from www.100daysofrealfood.com but I highly modified the recipe.

Ingredients
1 whole chicken
2 tablespoons of paprika
1 tablespoon of salt
1 tablespoon of chili powder
1 tablespoon of cayenne pepper
½ tablespoon of pepper
1 large yellow onion
1 medium zucchini
2 large carrots
3 large jalapenos
1 container of sliced mushroom
1 red bell pepper
Hell, add any paleo vegetable you want.
4 bay leaves
5 twigs of fresh thyme

Directions
Slice onion and create a layer of onions at the bottom of the crockpot.  Next, slice all remaining vegetables and place them in a large bowl.  Mix dried spices in a small bowl.  Rub chicken with spice rub on all surfaces.  You can even throw some of the rub in the body cavity.  Place rubbed chicken on bed of sliced onions.  Fill remaining spaces in the crockpot with sliced vegetables.  On top of the mound of vegetables, place bay leaves and twigs of thyme.  DO NOT AT BROTH.  You wont need it.  Trust me.
Set crockpot on low and cook for 8.5 hours.  
Really, that is it….I swear.

Flowers

No comments:

Post a Comment