Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Spaghetti Squash Carbonara

Are you ready to have your minds blown? I first found this recipe here: http://paleoparents.com/blog/. Great blog with ridiculous recipes. I've been drawn to spaghetti squash this month because it's the closest I can get to pasta. If you don't know how to visualize spaghetti squash, here's a picture:

Picture taken from: http://simpledailyrecipes.com/3052/how-to-cook-spaghetti-squash/

It literally comes out looking like spaghetti! With a really mild taste, it's as good as it's gonna get on a no-grain diet. Mix this with eggs, coconut milk, and BACON and you're golden.

Ingredients:

1 medium spaghetti squash
12 oz nitrate-free bacon
1 tbsp arrowroot powder
1/2 cup full-fat coconut milk
6 eggs
1 tbsp. Italian seasoning
1 tsp. dried parsley
1 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. garlic powder

They also tell you to use a tablespoon of lard but it's totally not necessary. I'm not afraid of high fat foods but lard? It just seems wrong.

Instructions:

Cook the spaghetti squash. Cut it in half and place face down in a baking dish. You can either bake it for 40-60 minutes or microwave it for 10-15. When it is done, you want it to be soft and easy to scoop. We don't want crunchy spaghetti squash!

While you're cooking the squash, fry the bacon. Once it is done, remove the bacon and add the arrowroot powder to the bacon grease. Let it cook for a couple minutes.

While the arrowroot is cooking, combine coconut milk, eggs, and all seasonings in a bowl. Then add to the bacon grease/arrowroot. Cook the mixture until it looks like wet scrambled eggs (2-4 minutes). Remove from heat.

Then slice the bacon into small pieces.

After the squash is done, scoop out the insides into a serving dish. Add the egg mixture and the bacon to the squash. Combine all ingredients and enjoy.


Picture taken from: http://paleoparents.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/Spaghetti-Carbonara.jpg

Mind blown! I would eat this on a daily basis. I hope you like it as much as I did. We even tested it on a non-Paleo person and he LOVED it!

Let me know what you think.

Becca  =)

3 comments:

  1. looking forward to try this since i love pasta so much. have you guys ever considered any of the asian noodles made from either sweet potato (korean chap jae) or the chinese version made from mung beans i think. i know they're more processed, which defeats the purpose of the paleo diet, but like you said- sanity. i've been using them (just started paleo yesterday), but i am worried that i am derailing my diet. any thoughts?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't even know that sweet potato noodles existed! Shows how cultured I am. I'll definitely look into them because that would be delightful. Somehow I have a feeling they've got some nasty chemicals going on in there though. I would recommend looking at the Whole30 challenge. Even if you don't do the challenge, they have good thoughts about substituting "Paleo" foods for ones that we love (for example, Paleo Chocolate Chip Cookies). The first 30 days, you may not be too sane. That month is all about changing brain chemistry and habits. Eating "Paleo" noodles might keep your body craving other noodles. Who knows. Wouldn't recommend it for the first month though. Try spaghetti squash! It's surprisingly satisfying.

    Becca

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tried this tonight! I have to say... Im impressed. it was really tasty. The texture seemed a little bit off to me but I may have overcooked my mixture. The flavor is there. I will definitely make this again. It was nice to see a true paleo recipe that didn't call for a ton of cheese.

    ReplyDelete