Thursday, May 24, 2012

What? What? Potato Salad (Paleo)



Hello?  Is anybody out there?

Let me start by saying I hate the notion of a food item trying to be something its not.  Kind of like Tofurkey.  What is the point?  If you want turkey, eat turkey and not Tofu.  Right?  Thus I have tried to steer clear of “pseudo” food items……until now.

As Paleo eaters, we know potatoes are off the table.  Potatoes have no place in our diet, unless it’s a sweet potato.  I’ve seen the Paleo Potato Salad recipe now and again on the ThePaleoPlan.com and other websites.  I had no interest in attempting to make this recipe until Emma (shout out) brought it to work during one of our Paleo Potlucks.  I, truthfully, have to say it was pretty darn good.  Paleo Potato Salad is the perfect side dish to a protein-rich main course.   I was so impressed with the salad’s texture and flavor that I had to make it myself.  Yes, I tweaked the recipe.  Why?  Because I wanted it to taste like my mother’s potato salad.  

Oh, one last thing, this recipe makes a ton of salad.  A TON!  Perfect for a potluck or your side dish for the week. When I say a ton of salad, I mean a TON of salad.  You can easily substitute a 20lb wall-ball for a large bowl of No Potato Salad during the next WOD.  This recipe easily serve 8-10 people.  Be sure to use a large bowl when making a full recipe. 

Each serving is approximately 75 calories (7 grams of carbs (4 grams of sugar), 4 grams of fat and 4 grams of protein).

Ingredients:
1 head of Cauliflower, chopped in to small pieces
2 stalks of celery, diced
¼ yellow onion, finely diced
2 hard-boiled eggs sliced
1-2 tablespoons of fresh parsley, diced
4 strips of crispy bacon, chopped
¼ cup of black olives, diced
¼ cup of carrots, diced
Sea salt and pepper to taste
3-4 tablespoons of mayonnaise
1-2 tablespoon of yellow mustard (you can do Dijon too)
***Next time I am going to add pickle juice.

Instructions:
Steam cauliflower over medium heat and cook until slightly tender.  Be careful not to over cook the cauliflower. Overcooking will result in a strong cauliflower flavor to your salad.  Once properly cook, remove cauliflower and rinse under cool water and then place in a large bowl.

Combine celery, onion, parsley, bacon, olives, carrots, pepper and salt.  Stir in mayonnaise and mustard.  Garnish with sliced hard-boiled egg.  Serve immediately or refrigerate.

1 comment:

  1. You could just call it cauliflower salad. Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete