Monday, July 23, 2012

Kohlrabi and Celery Salad




I know what you are thinking,"What in the name of Paleo is Kohlrabi?"  When my buddy, Jeff, decided to make kohlrabi and celery salad, I had the same exact question.  I had to Google kohlrabi.  Here are the basics: kohlrabi is also known as a German Turnip.  Its origin is similar to that of cabbage, kale, and brussel sprouts, with a taste and texture similar to broccoli.  Kohlrabi is rich in vitamin C.  One cup of kohlrabi is equavalent to the recommended daily allowance of Vitamin C.  It does have a subtle yet unique flavor. 

The salad, actually looks more like a slaw, is way easy to make and screams summer.  I know what you are thinking, “Wow, Flowers, I want to make this salad.  Where can I find kohlrabi?”  I can tell you we purchased kohlrabi at the local Asian produce market.  I know what else you are thinking, “Wow, Flowers, what does kohlrabi look like?”  See below. 

The salad is crunchy like a slaw and not a leafy salad.  Thus, I would rather call this a kohlrabi/celery slaw.  

Sometimes we all need to branch out and try new things, particularly when eating Paleo.  It’s so easy to rely on the Paleo dishes that we are familiar with and know how to make with little to no effort.  Trust me folks, make the effort to find kohlrabi and try this one out.  You’ll be glad you did!!!!!!!!

Ingredients:
Slaw
2 Kohlrabi (peeled, cleaned and grated)
6 celery stalks (grated)
Salt (a pinch)

Dressing
4 cloves of garlic
1 shallot
1.5  tablespoons of capers
1 tablespoon of mustard
3 tablespoons of olive oil
2 tablespoons of vinegar
Salt and pepper to taste

Directions:
Mix kohlrabi, celery and salt in a large bowl.  In a food processor, puree all dressing ingredients until smooth and pourable.   Next, mix dressing into slaw and refrigerate for an hour before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment