Friday, July 20, 2012

Roasted Beets in Orange Juice


I can’t believe July is half over and we have only blogged once.   People, we (Becca, Kristy and I) have failed you.   Admittedly, I have been a little lazy and have been enjoying my copious amounts of free time.  As punishment, Becca and Kristy will do 100 burpees.  

Keeping with the summer theme, today I give you beets.  Ah yes, earthy in taste, sweet, and just darn good for you.  Eat beets and live forever.  Beets are one of my favorite vegetables, particularly when roasted.  Why roasted?  Well, you’ll have to eat a few, let your digestive system do its job and then you’ll find out! 

In this particular version, I did not peel the beets.  Why?   I was too lazy, beets taste just as good with the skin left on and its less messy.  This was barrowed from www.paleoforfoodies.com.

Ingredients:
4 beats, 2 inches in diameter
6 cloves of garlic (chopped)
1 tablespoon of fresh thyme
2 tablespoons of olive oil
¼ cup of fresh orange juice (take a orange and juice it)

Directions:
Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees.  In a small bowl, mix olive oil, garlic, thyme and whole beats.  Coat beets with olive oil. 

Place mixture in a glass pan (8x8) and pour fresh orange juice over beets.  Place foil over beets and bake for 45-50 min (beets should be tender when poked with a fork).  Remove foil and bake for an additional 10 min.  Remove beets, let cool and dice beets (skin on).  Serve and enjoy!  

No comments:

Post a Comment