Thursday, February 28, 2013

Taco Salad



Well, I missed a blog entry last week, now I owe 100 burpees.  

This blog entry was brought you by Taco Salad.   It’s simple and requires little effort or cooking. 
I forgot I had ground bison in the fridge.  I could have made bison chili or bell peppers stuffed with bison but I was impatient and could not be bothered with the effort.   I’ve made regular taco salads in the past and thought, “Why not paleo taco salad?”

I’ve made taco salad using prepackaged seasoning but I have to tell you, making my own taco seasoning was way better than any store bought seasoning.  Of course, my seasoning was much spicier.   Plus I cranked it up a notch with fresh jalapenos and hot salsa.


Below I have list of veggies I used in my taco salad but really you can add any veggie.


Ingredients:
Taco Meat:
1 pound of ground meat (beef, chicken, turkey or bison)
1 tablespoon chili powder
¼ tablespoon garlic powder
¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper
¼ teaspoon dried oregano
½ teaspoon paprika
½ teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon pepper

Salad
A few fist fulls of lettuce
1 diced tomato
¼ medium onion (diced)
small can of sliced olives
2 large jalapenos (sliced)
salsa (make sure it is paleo)
1 avocado (sliced)
shredded carrot
1 hard boiled egg (sliced)
a few sprigs of cilantro

Directions
Brown ground meat until almost entirely brown.  Add seasoning and allow too cook for a few more minutes.  Set aside when done.

While meat is browning, dice your veggies.   Duh.

Assemble your taco: lettuce, meat, and other veggies.  Top with salsa.

No comments:

Post a Comment