Thursday, January 16, 2014

Paleo Shrimp Scampi



Shrimp Scampi.....Ive always shied away from trying to make a non-paleo version of shrimp scampi because I thought I was difficult to make, which is far from the truth.   IT'S EASY.

My quest to make shrimp scampi started about a month ago when Chad ordered shrimp scampi at a local downtown Los Angeles restaurant. It was typical shrimp scampi: A few large-sized shrimp slathered in butter with an awesome garlic aroma and served on a bed of pasta.    As the plate was served, I said to myself, "I bet I can make a Paleo-ized version of shrimp scampi."

Admittedly, I did bend the Paleo rule: dairy.   The recipe requires butter and I did use butter.  There I said it.  However, I used grass-fed butter (Kerrygold Butter).   Not sure how you feel about bending the rules but I had to for this recipe.  Of course, ghee would be an appropriate substitute, which won't bend the rule of Paleo.  As for the pasta, I used the most logical substitute: spaghetti squash (see older blog entry for cooking options).


Ingredients: 
1 1/2 teaspoons of salt
3 tablespoons of grass-fed butter
2 1/2 tablespoons of olive oil
4-6 cloves of minced garlic
1 pound of large shrimp (peeled and deveined)
1/4 teaspoon of fresh ground pepper
1/3 cup of freshly chopped parsley leaves
Lemon zest from 1/2 a lemon
1/4 cup of lemon juice (fresh squeezed)
1/8 teaspoon of hot red pepper flakes

Directions: 
In a large pan, melt butter in olive oil over medium-low heat.  Add garlic and sauté for 1 minute. Careful because garlic burns easily.  Next, add shrimp, salt, pepper and sauté until the shrimp have just turned pink (about 5 minutes and stir often).  Once shrimp have turned pink, remove from heat and add parsley, lemon juice, lemon zest and hot red pepper flakes.  Toss and combine.

If serving with spaghetti squash, add shrimp and butter sauce, toss and serve.





No comments:

Post a Comment